Trusted Lawton Bicycle Accident Lawyer
Have you sustained injuries in a bicycle accident in Lawton
? At McGuire Law Firm, we firmly believe that every bicycle accident victim deserves a strong advocate in their corner. With a proven track record of successfully representing clients in bicycle accident cases, we are committed to fighting for your rights and helping you obtain the compensation you deserve. Our compassionate approach, combined with our in-depth understanding of local laws and regulations, allows us to tailor our strategies to your unique situation.
Do You Need a Lawton Bicycle Accident Attorney?
Navigating the aftermath of a bicycle accident can be overwhelming. From medical bills to dealing with insurance companies, the complexities can seem insurmountable. This is where a skilled Lawton bicycle accident attorney comes into play. At McGuire Law Firm, our experienced team can make a meaningful difference in your case through:
- Comprehensive legal knowledge: Our Lawton bicycle accident attorneys possess an in-depth understanding of local laws and regulationsrelated to bicycle accidents. We will ensure you are fully aware of your rights and options, empowering you to make informed decisions about your case.
- Thorough investigation: Our team conducts a meticulous investigation into your accident, gathering crucial evidence, interviewing witnesses, and reconstructing the scene. This attention to detail strengthens your case and positions us to negotiate effectively on your behalf.
- Skillful negotiation: Dealing with insurance companies can be challenging, but with McGuire Law Firm on your side, you will have skilled negotiators advocating for your interests. We work tirelessly to secure fair compensation for medical expenses, property damage, lost wages, and your pain and suffering.
- Preparation for litigation: If negotiations do not yield a satisfactory outcome, our attorneys are fully prepared to take your case to court. With our expertise and resources, we will build a strong case, present compelling evidence, and passionately represent your interests before a judge and jury.
- Support and peace of mind: We understand that your focus should be on recovery. By entrusting your legal matters to the McGuire Law Firm, you can find peace of mind knowing that we are dedicated to obtaining the best possible outcome for your case. This allows you to concentrate on healing.
What Causes Bicycle Accidents in Lawton?
Bicycle accidents are unfortunate events that can lead to serious injuries and substantial disruptions in the lives of those involved. Knowing the common causes of bicycle accidents in Lawton helps cyclists and motorists take proactive measures to prevent such incidents. Some of the common causes of bicycle accidents include the following:
- Distracted driving: One of the leading causes of bicycle accidents involves drivers distracted by their phones, GPS devices, or other activities while behind the wheel. Failing to give full attention to the road can result in collisions with cyclists who are sharing the same space.
- Failure to yield: Bicycle riders have the same rights and responsibilities as motorists on the road. However, some drivers may fail to yield the right-of-way to cyclists at intersections, crosswalks, and merging lanes, leading to dangerous collisions.
- Dooring accidents: Parked vehicles can pose a hidden danger to cyclists. In the instance one opens a car door without minding oncoming cyclists, it can result in a sudden and potentially severe collision.
- Unsafe lane changes: Motorists who change lanes without properly checking their blind spots can easily collide with cyclists riding alongside or passing them. These accidents often occur due to the limited visibility of bicycles in comparison to larger vehicles.
- Speeding: Excessive speed reduces a driver's reaction time, making it difficult to respond to unexpected situations, including the presence of cyclists. Speeding drivers may find it challenging to slow down or avoid collisions with cyclists who are sharing the road.
- Lack of bike infrastructure: Insufficient or poorly designed bike lanes, as well as a lack of proper signage and signals for cyclists, can contribute to accidents. Cyclists may be forced to share lanes with fast-moving traffic, increasing the risk of collisions.
- Impaired driving: Drivers under the influence of alcohol or drugs are impaired and have reduced judgment and reaction capabilities. This impairment can lead to accidents with cyclists, who are more vulnerable due to the lack of protective barriers.
According to the Oklahoma Highway Safety Office
, Lawton has experienced a notable number of bicycle accidents in urban and suburban areas. Over the past three years, an average of 50 bicycle accidents were reported annually, with a slight variation from year to year. These accidents occurred on a range of road types, including intersections, residential streets, and major thoroughfares. A significant percentage of bicycle accidents involve collisions with motor vehicles, emphasizing the vulnerability of cyclists sharing the road with larger vehicles.
What to Do After a Bicycle Accident
Being involved in a bicycle accident can be devastating and overwhelming. Knowing how to respond in the immediate aftermath of the incident is crucial to ensure your safety, ability to gather essential information, and protect your legal rights. Here are the steps you should take after getting involved in a bicycle accident in Lawton;
- Prioritize safety: If you are able to do so, move yourself and your bicycle to a safe location, away from traffic and potential hazards.
- Seek medical attention: Even if you feel fine initially, it is important to seek medical evaluation to rule out internal injuries or concussions. Follow all medical advice and keep records of your injuries and treatments.
- Call law enforcement: Contact the local police to report the accident. Their presence will help ensure an accurate record of the incident, which can be crucial for insurance claims and potential legal actions.
- Exchange information: Exchange contact, insurance, and vehicle information with the driver involved in the accident. Also, gather contact information from any witnesses who can provide their perspective on the accident.
- Document the scene: If possible, take photos of the accident scene, the positions of vehicles, any visible injuries, and any relevant road conditions. This visual evidence can be valuable in building your case.
- Notify your insurance company: Contact your own insurance company to report the accident and begin the claims process. Provide them with accurate details of the incident.
- Consult an attorney: If you have sustained injuries and believe that the accident was caused by another person’s negligence, consider consulting a Lawton bicycle accident attorney from McGuire Law Firm. We can provide legal guidance and protect your rights throughout the process.
Determining Liability in Bicycle Accidents
When a bicycle accident occurs, one of the crucial aspects to address is determining who is at fault
for the incident. Understanding liability in bicycle accidents is essential for pursuing compensation and justice. Proving liability in a bicycle accident involves careful assessment of various factors that contribute to the incident. They include;
- Negligence: Negligence is a central concept in determining liability. It refers to the failure to exercise reasonable care, which results in harm to another person. Establishing negligence involves demonstrating that the other party had a duty to act reasonably but breached that duty, causing the accident.
- Traffic laws and regulations: Adherence to traffic laws is vital for cyclists and motorists. Violations such as running red lights, failing to yield, or improper lane changes can significantly impact the determination of liability.
- Contributory negligence: Lawton operates under a modified comparative fault system, which means that if both parties are found to share some degree of fault, their compensation may be adjusted accordingly. It is essential to determine the percentage of fault attributed to each party involved.
- Witness testimonies: Eyewitness accounts of the accident can provide valuable insights into the sequence of events and the behavior of those involved. Their testimonies can help establish who had the right of way and who failed to exercise due caution.
- Expert opinions: In complex cases, expert witnesses such as accident reconstruction specialists, medical professionals, or traffic safety experts may provide their analysis to help determine liability.
Statute of Limitations for Lawton Bicycle Accident Cases
Timing is crucial when pursuing legal action after a bicycle accident in Lawton. The statute of limitations defines the timeframe within which you can file a lawsuit. Generally, for personal injury and property damage claims arising from bicycle accidents, Oklahoma has a statute of limitations of two years from the date of the accident. This means you have two years to initiate legal proceedings seeking compensation. It is vital to consult a Lawton bicycle accident attorney promptly to ensure your claim is filed within this time window. Failing to meet the statute of limitations can lead to your case being dismissed, making early legal consultation essential to preserving your right to seek compensation.
We Also Serve The Following Practice Area in Lawton:-
Contact Skilled Bicycle Accident Attorneys in Lawton
If you have been involved in a bicycle accident, do not navigate the legal process alone. At McGuire Law Firm
, we are dedicated to being your advocates during this difficult time. With a focus on compassion, expertise, and unwavering support, we are here to stand by your side, ready to fight for justice and the best possible outcome for your case. Contact
McGuire Law Firm today to schedule a free consultation with us.