Edmond Workplace Accident Lawyer
Have you been injured in a workplace accident in Edmond, OK?
Contact the Edmond workplace accident lawyers at McGuire Law Firm for help. You may be entitled to workers’ compensation benefits and/or damages in a civil lawsuit, and our team is ready to help you fight to maximize your recovery.
At McGuire Law Firm, we work as a team to provide exceptional legal representation for our clients.
You worked hard for your employer, and we will work just as hard to ensure you are compensated for the injury you sustained in the course of doing that work.
Give us a call today to speak to us for free. Our Edmond personal injury lawyers are here to advocate for you.
Table of Contents
Why Should I Hire an Edmond Personal Injury Lawyer for a Workplace Accident?
If you’ve been hurt on the job in Edmond, Oklahoma, you need an experienced and skilled attorney to help you determine the optimal approach based on the nature and cause of your injury. At McGuire Law Firm, we know this is a stressful and difficult time and you likely feel uncertain about the next steps.
Legal matters are not what you should be worrying about as you deal with your injury and recovery.
Let our Oklahoma personal injury law firm handle the case for you. We have decades of experience litigating personal injury cases and doing everything we can to get our clients what they need for a full recovery.
Based on our knowledge of workers’ compensation and personal injury law, we know the kinds of evidence that judges find persuasive in these types of complex matters. We will put our experience and the full force of our law firm behind your case.
Having tenacious lawyers working hard to identify legal strategies increases the likelihood that your claim will be successful. When you engage our firm to represent you, our lawyers will:
- Gather the evidence necessary to support your claim
- Appeal any denial of compensation by the Oklahoma Workers’ Compensation Commission (OWCC)
- Deal with insurance carrier disputes
- Pursue possible claims against a third party
- Stay on top of your claim so it does not get held up in the system
- Negotiate any possible settlements
- Litigate your case in court, if necessary.
Let us put our depth and breadth of experience to work for you. We will keep you informed and consult with you on all major decisions. Call our Edmond law office today and let us put the wheels in motion so you can be compensated and begin getting your life back on track.
Common Causes of Workplace Accidents
Recent statistics on workplace accidents show that Oklahoma has a slightly higher injury rate than the United States as a whole. The reason could be related to the type of industries common in Oklahoma: construction, oil, and agriculture. All of these industries are considered to be among the most dangerous by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
Workplace accidents can cause injuries serious enough that they result in wrongful death. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the most recent information for Oklahoma shows that the causes of fatal accidents in the state are as follows:
- Transportation (car accidents, truck accidents)
- Contact with objects and equipment
- Exposure to harmful substances or environments
- Falls, slips, and trips
- Violence and injuries caused by other people or animals
- Fires and explosions
The state of Oklahoma does not have its own workplace safety and health programs, so workplace safety is governed by OSHA.
Common Injuries from Workplace Accidents
Workplace accident injuries are varied, but some common injuries are:
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Back injuries
- Broken bones
- Sprains and strains
- Eye injury (impairment or blindness)
- Toxic hazard exposure
- Traumatic brain injury
- Spinal cord injury, including paraplegia or quadriplegia
Depending on the nature and specifics of your case, you may be able to get workers’ compensation. At McGuire Law Firm, our legal team has strong experience in how to process workers’ compensation claims.
What is Workers’ Compensation
When you are injured at work, you may be entitled to benefits through your employer’s workers’ compensation insurance policy. Workers’ compensation is a system to help you recover financially if you are hurt in the course of doing your job, regardless of fault.
When you apply for workers’ compensation, you may get benefits to cover your costs, but it may not be enough. This is where it comes in handy to have a personal injury attorney who knows how to appeal decisions made by the workers’ compensation board.
Our attorneys can deal with potential issues workers often come across when seeking workers’ compensation, including:
- Delayed or denied benefits: Showing additional medical documents can help in an appeal.
- Pre-existing condition
- Employer claims that you are not covered: Some types of workers (e.g., volunteer) may not be covered, so it is important that we review your employment agreement.
- Fraud accusation: Claims by the insurance company that you are not in fact injured, or that you are otherwise trying to perpetrate fraud.
- Disputes over which medical specialization is involved, which type of doctor to consult, and whether the doctor has been approved as a medical provider by your employer.
- Symptoms develop too slowly: Gradually-appearing symptoms can raise questions around whether the symptoms are a direct result of the injury.
- Cleared too quickly: If you are cleared too quickly by a doctor, and you disagree, you may be able to get a second opinion.
The workers’ compensation obstacles above can be complex and daunting to manage on your own. Fortunately, you do not have to go through any of this by yourself, and certainly not while you are being treated for your injury and trying to recover.
McGuire Law Firm is here to make everything easier for you. Our Edmond workplace accident attorneys can navigate the workers’ compensation maze and deal with the issues that arise. Our goal is to take this off your hands and let you rest, knowing your case is in competent and caring hands.
You Could Be Entitled to Damages in a Third-Party Claim
If your injury was caused by the actions of a third party and not your employer, you may be able to bring suit against that third party. If that is the situation in your case, you could receive damages in addition to whatever workers’ compensation award you received from bringing a claim against your employer.
Examples of how a third party might be at fault include:
- A general contractor is responsible for a safety hazard at the site and you are injured as an employee of a subcontractor.
- You are responsible for driving or operating heavy equipment and another driver at the worksite crashes into you.
- The machinery you are required to operate turns out to be defective, in which case you may have a claim against the equipment manufacturer.
- The cleaning crew that is contracted to clean the worksite creates conditions that result in a slip and fall injury to you. The cleaning company could be held liable.
- An architectural firm overseeing the design of a building project could open itself to a claim if the firm’s negligence resulted in your injury.
In the above scenarios, the injury is caused by negligence on the part of a third party, rather than your employers. Our attorneys will examine the details of your case and help identify which party or parties were responsible for causing your injury.
What’s the Statute of Limitations For a Workplace Injury Claim in Edmond?
The law places a limit on the amount of time you have in which to bring a claim. Known as the statute of limitations, the OWCC requires that you bring a workplace accident claim within two years of the date of the accident. Keep in mind that have to notify your employer within a month (30 days) of getting hurt to preserve the right to file a formal claim.
Personal injury lawsuits arising from a workplace accident in Edmond are also subject to a strict two-year time limit.
Building a strong case takes time. Do not hesitate to hire a workers’ compensation lawyer as soon as possible after your injury. We can begin working on your case immediately and put together a case that will be prepared for filing well within that time frame.
Call Our Edmond Workplace Accident Lawyers Today
McGuire Law Firm in Edmond, Oklahoma has the resources and experience to ensure you get comprehensive and exceptional legal representation. We are dedicated to fighting on your behalf to get you money for your medical bills, lost wages, and other accident-related damages.
Call our Edmond or Oklahoma City law office for a free consultation today. Our Edmond workplace accident attorneys will go over your case with you, and provide initial legal advice on possible strategies that will result in the best possible outcome.