December 21, 2023 | Personal Injury
A sudden encounter with a dog, whether at a dog park, on a walking trail, or within the confines of someone’s home, can turn unexpectedly distressing when a bite occurs. Not only is it a frightening and traumatic experience, but it also inflicts serious pain. It might also potentially lead to severe health complications.
In such challenging circumstances, it is crucial to recognize that there are avenues for recourse. If you or a loved one has experienced a dog bite, you should know that you can file a personal injury claim and obtain compensation for bite-related expenses. This blog post explores the compensation options available for dog bite cases in Oklahoma City.
Compensation for Medical Bills
Dog bites vary in severity, and the path to recovery often involves a spectrum of treatments. Understanding the potential expenses incurred is crucial for individuals to get through the aftermath of a dog bite incident. Here are some common treatments that victims may face bills for:
- Ambulance ride to the hospital: Swift transportation to a medical facility is often necessary for immediate care.
- Washing and disinfection of wounds: Essential steps to prevent infection and promote healing.
- Antibiotics: Prescribed to stave off infection and facilitate a smoother recovery process.
- Vaccination for tetanus and/or rabies: Inoculations to guard against potential complications arising from the bite.
- Stitches: Required for closing wounds and minimizing scarring.
In more severe cases, victims may find themselves confronting more extensive and costly medical interventions:
- Overnight stays in the hospital: Extended periods of medical supervision may become necessary.
- Surgery: Addressing damage to ligaments, muscles, and nerves, which might even involve plastic surgery to address disfiguring injuries.
- Physical therapy: Essential for those facing nerve damage to regain functionality.
- Amputation: In extreme cases where infection becomes severe and widespread, amputation may be a regrettable necessity.
Even with health insurance coverage, victims may discover that their policies are insufficient to cover the entirety of their medical bills. The financial burden can escalate, leaving individuals grappling with substantial out-of-pocket expenses. Fortunately, dog bite injury claims present a viable solution, offering compensation that can alleviate the financial strain associated with medical treatments. At McGuire Law Firm, we are committed to helping victims pursue these claims and secure the compensation they deserve.
Compensation for Lost Wages
Dog bite injuries go beyond physical pain, often causing victims to grapple with a range of challenges. This includes significant impairments in the affected areas. Loss of sensation and motor control can also lead to profound difficulties and hinder individuals from performing routine tasks with ease. Dog bite victims facing temporary or permanent work incapacity due to their injuries deserve financial recompense for the following:
- Lost paychecks during recovery: Compensation for the wages lost during the recovery period, acknowledging the immediate financial strain caused by the inability to work.
- Future lost paychecks: Anticipating and compensating for the ongoing financial impact of lost wages due to the lasting effects of the dog bite, especially in cases of permanent disability.
- Compensation for potential advancements: Recognizing and addressing the potential loss of promotions, bonuses, benefits, and other career advancements that might have been achievable if not for the injuries sustained.
Pain and Suffering Compensation
The sudden and violent nature of dog bites goes beyond physical harm — they leave victims with lasting psychological trauma. The events can result in depression, anxiety, and, in severe cases, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
Victims may also develop a fear or phobia of dogs, which impacts their ability to manage both public and private spaces. This shift in lifestyle can make dog ownership and public encounters challenging. Compensation for pain and suffering becomes crucial in acknowledging these intangible losses.
While punitive damages are infrequently awarded in dog bite cases, there are instances where victims may be eligible for such compensation. This happens when the negligence of the dog owner is deemed particularly egregious, necessitating punitive damages as a form of punishment. Plaintiffs must convincingly demonstrate that the dog owner’s conduct was not merely negligent but reached a level of recklessness, negligence, and intentionality.
We are Here for You
McGuire Law Firm is here to guide you through the challenges of seeking rightful compensation. From covering medical expenses and lost wages to addressing pain and suffering, we understand the unique challenges you face. We have an experienced team ready to assess your case and help you get justice. Your well-being is our priority. Call (405)-513-5658 to schedule a consultation and take the first step toward recovery.