Oklahoma City Car Accident Lawyer
Did you or a loved one got hurt in a car accident? The experienced Oklahoma City car accident attorneys at McGuire Law Firm will help you fight to maximize your financial recovery. Call us today at (405) 513-5658 for a free consultation. You may be entitled to compensation for your lost wages, and pain and suffering.
You have the opportunity to sit down with our firm and learn about your case from attorneys who have decades of experience helping crash victims just like you. To get started, all you have to do is contact us at our Oklahoma City law office.
Table of Contents
Oklahoma City, OK Car Accident Statistics – 2022 Update
Oklahoma City has some of the busiest, most congested, and crowded roads in the midwest. In fact, Oklahoma City is one of the country’s 10 most dangerous cities to drive in. So, it makes sense that one out of every four car accidents in Oklahoma occurs in Oklahoma City.
Oklahoma City Crash Stats
In 2020, there were a total of 61,739 collisions in Oklahoma, which means 169 collisions per day. These accidents resulted in 27,418 injuries and 654 deaths.
How serious are the collisions in Oklahoma City, OK? According to crash data from the State of Oklahoma Highway Safety Office, they range from fender benders to deadly.
In 2020, Oklahoma City saw:
- 4,784 large truck accidents
- 7,823 wrecks caused by unsafe speed
- 977 motorcyclists injured or killed
- 114 school bus accidents
- 250 bicyclists injured or killed
- 586 pedestrians injured or killed
More than 25% of the 2020 crashes statewide happened in OKC. The preliminary data shows that as of January 2022 there have already been 34 fatalities from traffic accidents in Oklahoma City.
Which Roads and Intersections in Oklahoma City Are the Most Dangerous?
Accidents happen everywhere across the city. However, certain intersections and stretches of road tend to see a lot of crashes. The following have been identified as some of the most dangerous roads and intersections in Oklahoma City:
- Lake Hefner Parkway
- Kilpatrick Turnpike
- Oklahoma City Blvd and Klein Ave
- N.W. Expressway and Belle Isle Blvd
- N.W. Expressway and Rockwell
- N.W. Expressway and Portland
- N.W. Expressway and N.W. 63rd St.
- N.W. Expressway and Lake Hefner Parkway
- N.W. Expressway and Pennsylvania Ave
- N.W. 39th Expressway and Meridian
- N. MacArthur and Reno Ave, and
- S. Western Ave. and S.W. 59th St.
You might be able to decrease the risk of getting into an accident by avoiding these stretches of road, especially during rush hour or other particularly busy times of the day.
Why Should I Hire an OKC Car Accident Attorney After a Car Crash?
At McGuire Law Firm, our Oklahoma City personal injury attorneys been fighting on behalf of car accident victims in Oklahoma since 2007. Our car accident lawyers have a combined 60 years of legal experience – including more than 17 years defending insurance companies.
Our firm is prepared to address the challenges and roadblocks insurance companies will throw your way.
We draw on our inside knowledge of how insurance companies operate and handle claims to the benefit of our clients every single day. When you contact us for help after a crash, we will work diligently to secure all of the compensation you need and deserve. You can expect us to:
- Listen carefully to your side of the story so that we can begin to form a foundation for your case
- Conduct a thorough investigation and look at your crash from all possible angles
- Gather and scrutinize all relevant evidence, including a police report, medical records, medical bills, photographs or video footage, car accident report and more
- Bring in experts – including accident reconstructionists and forensics specialists – to help us understand, step-by-step, what happened and caused the crash
- Handle all court filings and paperwork
- Take care of the communication with insurance companies locating all policies providing coverage applicable to your injuries and interested parties
- Stand up for you if and when you are blamed by other parties
- Build a persuasive trial-ready claim in order to negotiate a settlement on your behalf.
Our attorneys will keep you in the loop every step of the way. If you have a question – call. You’ll get your attorney on the line, not law firm support staff. Our car accident attorneys are here to help you in any way that you can, whenever you need it. So, contact us today to arrange a free consultation.
What Damages Are Available After a Car Accident?
The costs of an unexpected car accident in Oklahoma City can be extraordinary. Depending on the seriousness of your physical injuries, the financial repercussions can cost tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars.
According to the National Safety Council, a disabling injury will cost, on average, $96,200 over the course of a victim’s life. That doesn’t even take into account the intangible consequences of an accident, such as chronic pain or emotional distress.
Fortunately, after an accident, you can seek to be compensated for all of your injuries, damages, and suffering from responsible parties. In Oklahoma, compensatory damages fall into one of two categories – economic damages and non-economic damages.
There are certain costs of an accident that are fairly easy to calculate in terms of dollars and cents. They’re present and future costs, expenses, and losses that are associated with an accident or resulting injuries. These are called economic damages.
Commonly awarded economic damages are:
- Hospitalization, surgery, medication, medical devices, and other medical bills
- Lost income and lost wages
- Temporary and permanent disability
- Property damage
- Nursing care, and
By recovering compensation for these economic losses, you should be put back in the financial situation you were in before the accident.
Not all consequences of an accident come with a receipt or have a set monetary value. However, these consequences can still be impactful or devastating. Non-economic damages are paid to compensate for these intangible, subjective injuries. Some examples are:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment
- Disfigurement and scarring, and
- Loss of consortium.
Non-economic awards can be difficult to calculate. That is why McGuire Law Firm will turn to experts for help as we determine what your case is worth.
We’ll bring in medical professionals to help us understand the extent and severity of your injuries. We’ll turn to therapists and psychologists to better understand how those injuries and the trauma of the crash might impact your ability to live and enjoy your life. We’ll consult with vocational rehabilitation specialists to assess how your injuries might affect your ability to go back to work. If there’s an expert who can shed some light on your case and help us construct a strong claim, we’ll make the call.
Caps on Compensatory Damages in Oklahoma
In Oklahoma, there are no limits on the amount of economic damages that can be awarded to car accident victims. However, Oklahoma does impose a cap on non-economic awards – $350,000. There is one exception to this rule. No cap applies when a defendant’s “acts or failures to act” were reckless, grossly negligent, fraudulent, intentional, or malicious.
Punitive Damages Are Only Available Under Certain Circumstances
There’s also something called “punitive damages”. Punitive awards are, as the name suggests, intended to punish the defendant for their actions. So, punitive damages are only available in situations when the defendant’s conduct is so outrageous or egregious that punishment is believed to be necessary.
Punitive damages, when awarded, are capped at $100,000 or twice the value of any actual damages awarded.
What Are the Leading Causes of Car Accidents?
Car crashes aren’t uncommon in Oklahoma City. But, why? A crash can happen for a lot of different reasons. However, there are factors that tend to contribute to a lot of accidents in Oklahoma City.
- Distracted driving
- Drunk driving
- Defective equipment
- Hazardous road conditions
- Attempting to “beat” a red light at an intersection
- Inclement weather
- Time of day
- Drowsy driving
If you’ve been injured in an Oklahoma City car or truck accident, contact us today to learn about your legal rights and options. Our experienced personal injury lawyers would be more than happy to discuss your case and address any questions you might have. Your initial case evaluation is free.
We Will Help You Fight For Compensation For All of Your Car Accident Injuries
Whether you’re involved in a rear-end collision, sideswipe crash, or rollover car accident, you can sustain serious, life-changing injuries. At McGuire Law Firm, we are prepared to help you fight to demand the compensation you’ll need as you recover and get back on your feet.
We represent clients who, after being involved in a motor-vehicle accident in Oklahoma City, sustained:
- Chest injury
- Crushing injury
- Broken bones and fractures
- Head injury
- Traumatic brain injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Catastrophic injury
- Burns, and more.
Sadly, there are dozens of fatal crashes in Oklahoma City every year. If you’ve lost a family member in a fatal Oklahoma City car accident, our lawyers can help you navigate a wrongful death action against the responsible party. While money won’t bring your loved one back, it can absolutely make a difference in your life for years to come. Talk to one of our attorneys today to review your case.
We will provide you with legal advice and help you get full recovery and coverage for your damages. We don’t charge any fees unless we win.
What If I’m Blamed For My Car Accident?
After an accident, don’t be surprised if no one rushes to accept responsibility. You also shouldn’t be surprised if other parties or the other dirver’s insurance providers point fingers and attempt to blame you. It’s a common tactic.
If successful, it can interfere with your ability to recover compensation. That’s because Oklahoma has modified comparative negligence rules. In other words, the fault is divided up and allocated between everyone who plays a role in causing a crash – including those who got hurt.
Sharing some responsibility and blame for an accident will affect your ability to seek and secure monetary damages. In simple terms:
- You’re entitled to a reduced financial award if you share less than 50 percent of the blame for your accident, and
- You’ll be barred from a financial recovery if you share more than 50 percent of the responsibility for the wreck.
The less fault that is allocated to you, the better. That’s why it’s critical to disprove the allegations that you share blame or, at the very least, minimize the degree of fault assigned to you. McGuire Law Firm knows what steps have to be taken to protect you and your ability to recover compensation.
We’ll carefully investigate the circumstances of your crash, searching for any reason or evidence that shifts blame away from you. Our attorneys will invest the time and legal manpower that are necessary to help you get full recovery.
Who is Liable For My Car Accident Injuries?
Under Oklahoma law, anyone who contributes to a car accident can be held legally and financially responsible for the consequences.
You could get compensation for numerous parties. So, you could potentially have a legitimate claim against:
- Drivers of other passenger cars
- The driver of your automobile, if you were a passenger
- A passenger in your car, if you were the driver
- Truck drivers
- Bus drivers
- Trucking companies
- Transit companies
- Uber drivers or Lyft drivers
- Vehicle manufacturers
- Mechanics or auto repair shops
- Government agencies, and
- Employers of negligent parties.
McGuire Law Firm will conduct an exhaustive inquiry into the circumstances of your car accident. Our goal will be to determine the cause(s). Once we know why your accident occurred, we can use that information to identify who might be at fault. We can aggressively pursue monetary damages from anyone who played even the slightest role in your crash. Feel free to speak with one of our lawyers if you got hurt by another driver’s negligence.
How Long Do I Have to File A Car Accident Claim in Oklahoma?
It depends on what type of claim you decide to file. We know that you need to rest and focus on getting better, but you still need to act fast. The McGuire Law Firm can handle your case and stay on top of deadlines so you don’t have to. Here are some of the most common types of claims and their time limitations:
Insurance Claims: Oklahoma is a fault insurance state. The insurance company for the at-fault party will typically be the primary source of compensation after an accident. Insurance companies in Oklahoma set the rules regarding when a claim for benefits must be submitted. In most cases, insurers require notice of an intent to file a claim within a reasonable amount of time after a crash. What’s reasonable depends on the company’s own rules and policies.
Personal Injury Lawsuit: If your insurance claim is denied or if your damages exceed an insurance policy’s limits, you can file a personal injury lawsuit against at-fault parties. In Oklahoma, the statute of limitations for most car accident lawsuits is two years. The clock begins to run at the time of your accident. However, there are times when you might have a legitimate reason to toll – or pause – the statute of limitations for a period of time. This might be true if you didn’t discover your injuries right away or if you were a minor when you got hurt.
Government Claim: Claims for damages against the government – including Oklahoma City, Oklahoma County, or the state of Oklahoma – are subject to an accelerated timeline. You’ll only have one year to file a special administrative claim to request compensation. If the government denies your request or fails to respond, you’ll then have 90 days to file a civil lawsuit.
Claim for Workers’ Compensation Benefits: You could potentially be entitled to receive benefits from your employer’s workers’ compensation insurance policy if you were injured in a car accident at work. “At work” means that you were injured while you were on the clock and performing a task in the scope of your duties. You’ll have up to 30 days to file a claim for workers’ compensation.
You do not want to miss the deadline that’s applicable to your case. If you wait too long, you’ll be barred from bringing a claim and recovering the compensation that you deserve. So, the best course of action is to reach out to McGuire Law Firm as soon as you can after a collision in Oklahoma. We can get to work on your case right away, working hard to ensure that all statute of limitation requirements are met on time.
What Happens If an Insurance Company Acts in Bad Faith?
An insurance policy is a contract. If a policy is in good standing, an insurer has a legal duty to fulfill its side of the bargain. That means considering the claim in good faith. However, doing that can cut into profits. So, some companies engage in deceptive, deceitful, and manipulative practices to limit the amount of money they pay out to injured crash victims like you.
These bad faith practices might include:
- Denying a claim without reason
- Not conducting a thorough or unbiased investigation into an accident
- Failing to respond to a claim within a timely manner, or
- Not issuing a timely payment once a settlement has been reached or verdict entered.
At McGuire Law Firm, our lawyers know what bad faith practices look like. Our founding lawyer, Kent McGuire, spent more than 17 years defending insurers against bad faith claims. Today, he uses that knowledge and insight to hold the most powerful companies in the state accountable. When you’re represented by McGuire Law Firm, insurers have to play by the rules. If they don’t, they know that we will not hesitate to bring a bad faith action and make them pay. Don’t hesitate to call our accident attorneys, we will answer all your questions, we understand that your future is on the line.
What Should I Do After a Car Accident in OKC?
Getting into an accident can be overwhelming and incredibly frustrating. So, here are some things to keep in mind after you’ve been in a wreck.
It’s important to:
- Call 911 and request help at the scene of the crash
- Determine if you, your passengers, or other individuals need emergency medical assistance – and get it, if necessary
- Remain at the scene (if injuries are not life-threatening) and exchange information with other parties
- Refrain from admitting fault, accepting blame, or apologizing
- Take photographs and videos of the scene, vehicles, and injuries, if possible
- Obtain medical care as soon as you can after the accident, if you aren’t transported from the scene
- Direct all communication to an experienced car accident attorney in OKC.
The decisions you make right now matter. They can have a huge impact on your health ad the strength of your legal claims for damages. Getting an attorney involved in the process early on can make things a lot easier. Serving Oklahoma City, the lawyers at McGuire Law Firm is always here to help.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Oklahoma City Car Accident Lawyers
Has your life been turned upside down because of a car accident in Oklahoma City? Whether you’ve been seriously injured or have lost someone you love in a fatal crash, McGuire Law Firm is here to help.
Our OKC car accident attorneys will work tirelessly to help you secure a meaningful financial award from at-fault parties. We won’t let insurance companies play games or take advantage of you during this trying time. We’ll be your fiercest advocates and fight to maximize your compensation.
Give our OKC personal injury law firm a call to arrange a time to sit down and discuss legal representation and your case in detail with our team. Your first consultation is 100 percent free, so reach out to us for legal advice today.
What Our Clients Have To Say About Us
Read more of our Google testimonials here or leave us a review.
Highly rated Auto Repair Shops in OKC
- Pro Express
3100 N Pennsylvania Ave
Oklahoma City, OK 73112
- Automotive Repair By George
1217 NW 3rd St
Oklahoma City, OK 73106
- OKC Auto Works
701 SE 89th St
Oklahoma City, OK 73149
- Beck’s Garage
4217 N Western Ave
Oklahoma City, OK 73118
- Xtreme Lube and Complete Auto Repair
8613 N Council Rd
Oklahoma City, OK 73132
*Disclaimer – we do not endorse these companies or profit from having them listed on our website. These were some of the highest rated auto repair shops on Yelp.
Car Accident Infographic
Our Oklahoma City, OK personal injury law firm also provides the following practice areas:
- Bicycle Accident Attorneys in Oklahoma City, OK
- Car Accident Attorneys in Oklahoma City, OK
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in Oklahoma City, OK
- Slip And Fall Lawyers in Oklahoma City, OK
- Truck Accident Lawyers in Oklahoma City, OK
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in Oklahoma City, OK
- Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers in Oklahoma City, OK
- Brain Injury Lawyers in Oklahoma City, OK
Additional Car Resources
- Distraction.gov — US Government official website for distracted driving.
- National Safety Council — A nonprofit organization dedicated to preventing injuries and deaths at workplaces, communities, and roads by educating, researching, and promoting advocacy.
- US Department of Transportation — Serving the United States by providing an efficient, fast, accessible, and safe transportation system.
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration — Working to achieve the highest standards of excellence in motor-vehicle and highway safety, preventing accidents, and protecting the American people.
Recent Car Accident Blog Posts
- What Are the Odds of Dying in a Car Crash in Oklahoma City?
- What Happens to Your Body in a Rollover Accident in Edmond, OK?
- What You Should and Should Not Do After a Car Accident in Oklahoma City
- What Are the Odds of Dying in A Car Crash?
- What to Know About Car Accident Reports in Oklahoma City
- What Happens When You Are At Fault for an Accident in Oklahoma City