Oklahoma City Car Accident Statistics
Are you wondering how safe or dangerous it is to take a drive across the Sooner State? Thousands of car accidents happen in Oklahoma City every year, and there are certain neighborhoods that are more prone to accidents than others. If you’re injured in an accident, you should seek the help of an experienced car accident lawyer by calling (405) 513-5658 or contacting us online.
Table of Contents
How Many Car Accidents Happen in Oklahoma Each Year?
According to data from the Oklahoma Highway Safety Office, there were 73,267 crashes in the Sooner State in 2018. Of those accidents, 19,930 happened in Oklahoma City.
For comparison, the state of Oklahoma saw 71,280 crashes in 2018.
How Many Injury-Causing Car Crashes Occur in Oklahoma Each Year?
In 2019, there were a total of 22,522 injury-causing crashes in the state of Oklahoma. Those collisions injured 24,330 people.
Compared to the prior year, there were more reported injury-causing crashes but fewer reported injury victims. In 2018, there were 22,246 injury-causing accidents in Oklahoma, forcing a total of 32,536 people to seek medical attention.
How Many Fatal Car Accidents Happen in Oklahoma Each Year?
In 2019, there were a total of 584 fatal car accidents in the state of Oklahoma. Those crashes caused 640 people to lose their lives.
Those numbers are a slight improvement over 2018 – when Oklahoma reported 603 fatal crashes that killed 655 people.
How Many Motorcyclists Are Killed or Injured in Oklahoma Each Year?
Of those involved in collisions, 266 sustained serious injuries, 446 sustained minor injuries, and 267 sustained possible injuries.
66 motorcyclists were killed in wrecks in the Sooner State in 2019 – a significant drop from years prior.
How Many Cyclists Are Killed or Injured in Oklahoma Each Year?
In 2019, 389 bicyclists suffered injuries in traffic accidents in the state of Oklahoma. That represents a 60% increase from 2018 – when the Sooner State reported just 241 cyclist injuries.
2019 saw 13 cyclists lost their lives on the streets of Oklahoma – a drop from the year prior. So, while there were more bicycle accidents in the state, a the fatality rate of those collisions dropped.
How Many Pedestrians Are Killed or Injured in Oklahoma Each Year?
A total of 741 pedestrians suffered injuries in the state of Oklahoma in 2019. That’s up 38% from the year before, when 536 pedestrians sustained injuries in traffic accidents.
Fatal pedestrian accidents have also increased in the Sooner State. In 2018, there were a total of 64 pedestrian deaths. In 2019, 88 pedestrians were killed as a result of auto accidents in Oklahoma – the most since 2016.
When Do Car Crashes Happen in the State of Oklahoma?
Traffic accidents occur just about every day in Oklahoma. However, these collisions are not evenly distributed throughout the year. Some months, days, and times are more crash-prone than others.
Per the Oklahoma Highway Safety Office, the monthly distribution of car accidents in the Sooner State in 2018 was as follows:
- January: 5,344 collisions
- February: 5,467 collisions
- March: 5,651 collisions
- April: 5,741 collisions
- May: 6,255 collisions
- June: 5,779 collisions
- July: 5,495 collisions
- August: 6,327 collisions
- September: 6,364 collisions
- October: 6,926 collisions
- November: 6,087 collisions
- December: 5,844 collisions
The daily distribution of crashes in Oklahoma in 2018 was as follows:
- Sundays: 6,203 collisions
- Mondays: 10,373 collisions
- Tuesdays: 10,924 collisions
- Wednesdays: 11,223 collisions
- Thursdays: 11,356 collisions
- Fridays: 12,542 collisions
- Saturdays: 8,659 collisions
The data released by the Oklahoma Highway Safety Office also shows that the most dangerous time to be on the road in the Sooner State is between 3 pm and 6 pm. A staggering 26 percent of all car accidents happen during this three-hour window.
Where Do Car Accidents Happen in the State of Oklahoma?
In 2019, 77.2 percent of all Oklahoma traffic accidents happened in urban areas. The remaining 22.8 percent happened in rural locations.
Despite the fact that about three-fourths of car crashes happen in urban places, the majority of road fatalities happen on rural roads. During 2019, 64.5 percent of all traffic deaths happened in rural areas – while the remaining 35.5 percent happened in more populated towns and cities.
Is Drunk Driving a Significant Problem in Oklahoma?
Oklahoma, like just about every other state in the Union, has a huge problem with drunk driving. However, as local governments work to raise awareness of the issue, and law enforcement officers continue making DUI arrests, the state’s statistics are trending in the correct direction.
In 2019, the consumption of alcohol played a role in 3,171 accidents. In 2018, this figure sat at 3,109.
Drunk driving led to 1,306 injury-causing crashes in Oklahoma in 2019. Those collisions forced 1,471 people to seek medical attention. In 2018, alcohol consumption was responsible for 1,265 injury-causing crashes – sending a total of 1,887 to hospitals and clinics.
Throughout 2019, the consumption of alcohol led to 146 fatal crashes and caused the deaths of 51 people. In 2017, drunk driving caused 147 fatal crashes, killing 158 people.
Is Speeding a Significant Problem in Oklahoma?
Like drunk driving, speeding is also a significant issue in Oklahoma. Unfortunately, when it comes to this particular problem, many of the state’s figures are heading in the wrong direction.
In 2019, a total of 8,901 accidents in Oklahoma were caused by one or more parties driving at an unsafe speed. That represents an almost 4 percent increase from 2018 – when the Sooner State reported 8,581 speeding-related crashes.
Speeding led to 3,408 injury-causing collisions in Oklahoma in 2019 – forcing 3,698 people to seek medical attention. Throughout 2018, speeding was responsible for 3,305 injury-causing crashes. Those accidents resulted in a total of 4,688 injuries.
During 2019, speeding caused 105 fatal collisions in Oklahoma -resulting in the deaths of 165 people. In 2018, the Sooner State reported 123 fatal crashes and 133 deaths.
Do Oklahomans Remember to Wear Their Seatbelts?
According to the Oklahoma Highway Safety Office, 85.6 percent of motorists who got into accidents in the Sooner State in 2018 were wearing a seatbelt. In 2017, this figure was a little higher – 86.9 percent.
Approximately 91.1 percent of kids who got into traffic accidents in Oklahoma in 2018 were wearing appropriate restraints. Again, this figure is lower than 2017’s 91.8 percent.
How Does Oklahoma’s Traffic Safety Record Compare to the Rest of the United States?
To understand how Oklahoma’s road safety record stacks up against the rest of the nation, one must look at the data compiled by the US Department of Transportation’s Fatality Analysis Reporting System (FARS).
According to FARS statistics, the state of Oklahoma has the 8th highest rate of traffic fatalities per capita in the United States. The only states with worse records are:
- New Mexico
- South Carolina, and
The state of Oklahoma also has the 8th highest rate of traffic fatalities per mile traveled in the United States. In this category, the Sooner State is behind only:
- South Carolina, and
- West Virginia.
These statistics clearly indicate that Oklahoma is quite a bit below the national average when it comes to traffic safety.
What to Do If You Get into a Car Accident in Oklahoma City
Given the Sooner State’s less-than-stellar road safety record, it may just be a matter of time before you get into an accident while driving through Oklahoma City. If and when such a crash does occur, you will need to take the following steps to protect your health and your financial future:
Call an Ambulance (If Necessary)
If you are severely injured after your accident, you should call 911 and request an ambulance immediately. Should you be unable to make the call yourself, you should have a bystander do it on your behalf.
Call Your Insurance Company
Once you have received the medical attention you require, you must report your collision to your insurance company. You need only give them basic information about the crash, like where it happened and what time it happened.
Call the Police
When you have finished talking with your insurer, you must then call the police. Once they arrive on the scene, they will compile a report that assigns blame to one of the involved parties. You may need to use this report as evidence in a personal injury lawsuit.
While you are still at the accident scene, you should also take some time to snap plenty of pictures and record some videos. You might also wish to ask any witnesses for their contact information. These pictures, videos, and witnesses can all be used as evidence in your lawsuit.
Contact an Attorney
Once you have finished compiling evidence, your next call should be to an experienced Oklahoma City car accident lawyer. We can tell you what steps you need to take next, communicate with your insurer, and help you begin the process of fighting for compensation.
Common Car Crash Claims in Oklahoma
Our attorneys can help you handle your claim after being injured in an auto accident in Oklahoma. We handle all types of car accident claims including:
- Motor vehicle defects
- Red and yellow light crashes
- Uninsured motorist claims
- Self-driving car collisions
- Distracted driving wrecks
- Commercial vehicle crashes
- Left-turn crashes
- And more
Have Questions? Contact Our Oklahoma City Car Accident Law Firm Today
At the McGuire Law Firm, our Oklahoma City personal injury lawyers have been helping the people of Oklahoma with their legal questions, concerns, and issues for many years. So, whether you want to know more about our city’s car accident statistics or need someone to help you file a lawsuit, you can count on us. Give us a call today to set up a free consultation with one of our experienced attorneys.