Do I Need a Lawyer After a Hit and Run Accident?
Any car accident can be really stressful. Things can get really complicated when a driver flees the scene. Getting the compensation you need and deserve can be a challenge. Hiring an Oklahoma City car accident attorney to handle your injury claim can make things a lot easier.
Contact our Oklahoma City law office to find out how we might be able to help you after a hit and run, McGuire Law Firm offers a free initial consultation, you can give us a call at (405) 513-5658 to speak with one of our experienced personal injury lawyers.
How McGuire Law Firm Can Help with Your Hit and Run Case in Oklahoma City
When the people of Oklahoma City need an attorney to stand up and help them battle for damages after a hit and run accident, they know they can count on McGuire Law Firm. Our team has the statutory knowledge and industry experience to take on almost any case.
When you hire us to help you with your pursuit of compensation, our Oklahoma City personal injury lawyers will:
- Investigate the facts of your hit and run accident
- Walk you through your legal options
- Help you understand the Oklahoma civil justice system
- Review the details of your case and assess your damages
- Provide you with astute legal advice and guidance
- Search for evidence that may help your claim for damages
- Handle your claim’s administrative duties
- Argue on your behalf in civil court, if necessary
Our team has wide experience in car as well as in truck accidents. Are you ready to pursue compensation with the help of the skilled car accident attorneys at McGuire Law Firm in Oklahoma City? Then please pick up the phone and reach out to us today. We have been handling hit and run lawsuits for years and know what it takes to win.
Why Do People Flee the Scene of Car Accidents in Oklahoma?
Every year, countless Oklahoma City drivers decide to flee the scene of an accident, rather than fulfill their legal and ethical obligation to:
- Check to see if the other driver is injured
- Provide the other party with their insurance details, and
- Wait for the police to arrive on the scene, if necessary
So, why do they elect to take this course of action? In most cases, they do so for one or more of the following reasons:
- They do not have a valid driver’s license
- They do not have a valid insurance policy
- They are driving a stolen vehicle
- They have prior criminal convictions
- They have an active warrant for their arrest
- They are transporting illegal substances
- They are drunk
- They are high
- They panicked
Were you recently involved in a hit and run accident in Oklahoma? If so, please do not hesitate to reach out to the experienced attorneys at McGuire Law Firm. Our team may be able to help you recover the compensation you need to pay for your lost wages, medical bills, and property damage.
Common Injuries Sustained in Hit and Run Crashes in Oklahoma City
When the people of Oklahoma City get into hit and run car crashes, they can sustain a wide variety of injuries – many of which can leave them with permanent disabilities and long-term health challenges. A short sampling of some of the most common ailments reported after accidents of this nature would include:
- Broken bones
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Soft tissue injuries
- Internal organ injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Eye injuries
- Facial disfigurement
- Degloving injuries
Did you suffer one or more of these injuries after a collision with a hit and run driver? Then please call McGuire Law Firm today and set up a free consultation at our offices in Oklahoma City. We have years of experience in the industry and are ready to go to battle for you.
How to Recover Compensation After an Oklahoma Hit and Run Crash
The method Oklahoma motorists must use to recover damages after an accident with a hit and run driver depends on whether or not the police can identify and locate the perpetrator:
Recovering Damages When the Police Catch the Hit and Run Driver
When a hit and run accident happens in the state of Oklahoma, the police immediately begin looking for the driver who fled the scene. To do so, they typically:
- Review traffic camera footage
- Analyze physical evidence at the scene of the crash, and
- Ask witnesses if they saw the driver’s license plate number
If law enforcement officers can successfully locate the hit and run motorist, the victim can try to recover damages by filing a lawsuit against them.
To recover damages in this way, the plaintiff will need to prove that:
- The hit and run driver owed them a duty of care
- The hit and run driver breached that duty by acting negligently
- The hit and run driver’s breach of duty caused them to suffer an injury
- Their injury is as severe and life-altering as they claim
If their suit is successful, the at-fault driver’s car insurance company will then pay them compensation for their:
- Medical bills
- Rehabilitative care costs
- Property damage
- Lost wages
- Loss of future earnings
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
If the court rules that the hit and run driver acted with malice, their insurer may also need to pay punitive damages.
The process of fighting for compensation through a personal injury lawsuit can be complicated and time-consuming. For this reason, it is always smart for victims to hire a skilled attorney to help them.
Recovering Damages When the Police Fail to Catch the Hit and Run Driver
If law enforcement officers cannot catch the hit and run motorist, or the perpetrator does not have insurance, the best way for victims to seek compensation is usually by filing an uninsured driver claim with their insurance company.
The process of filing a claim under their uninsured motorist coverage should work as follows:
- Filing a claim with their auto insurance company
- Providing their insurer with evidence to support their claim
- Waiting for the insurance company to review their claim
- Receiving the compensation they need and deserve
Unfortunately, the process does not always work this way. Insurers regularly deny and delay valid uninsured motorist claims in an effort to increase their profits. As such, anyone who intends to employ this method to recover damages would be wise to hire a knowledgeable lawyer to guide them.
Would you like to have a skilled attorney from McGuire Law Firm help you sue a hit and run motorist or file a claim with your insurance company? If so, please reach out to schedule a free case evaluation at our office in Oklahoma City. Our team has the industry experience and statutory knowledge necessary to treat your case with the care and attention it deserves.
Statute of Limitations for Hit and Run Accident Claims in Oklahoma
In the state of Oklahoma, the standard statute of limitations for just about all personal injury claims is two years. As such, anyone who wishes to file suit against a hit and run motorist must typically do so before the second anniversary of their accident.
The statute of limitations for contract disputes in the Sooner State is quite a lot longer. Per 12 OK Stat § 12-95(1) (2018), people who wish to take legal action against their insurance company for delaying or denying their uninsured motorist claim must do so within five years.
Victims who fail to take action before their statutory window closes almost always lose their right to civil justice.
Do you need an experienced lawyer to help you file a personal injury lawsuit or contract dispute before your statute of limitations expires? Then please reach out to the team at McGuire Law Firm as soon as you can. We are available by phone 24 hours a day.
What Should Victims Do After an Oklahoma City Hit and Run Crash?
When Oklahoma City residents get into hit and run crashes, it is vital that they take urgent steps to safeguard their health as well as their financial wellbeing. In most cases, that means:
- Calling for an ambulance, if necessary
- Remaining at the scene of the accident
- Refraining from attempting to chase the hit and run driver
- Letting their insurance company know about the collision
- Calling the police and giving a brief statement
- Gathering relevant evidence from the accident scene
- Enlisting the services of a knowledgeable attorney
When you need a knowledgeable lawyer to help you in the aftermath of a hit and run accident, there is only one place you need to contact – McGuire Law Firm. We have been filing personal injury lawsuits and uninsured motorist claims on behalf of Oklahoma City residents for years. Reach out to us today to learn more about our services.
Other Common Car Crash Claims in Oklahoma
Let our compassionate attorneys at McGuire Law Firm help you after being injured in a car crash. We handle all types of claims including:
- Motor vehicle defects
- Red and yellow light crashes
- Self-driving car collisions
- Distracted driving wrecks
- Commercial vehicle crashes
- Left-turn crashes
- And more
Contact An Experienced Auto Accident Lawyer in Oklahoma City For Help Today
Over the years, the attorneys at McGuire Law Firm have helped a plethora of Oklahoma City residents pursue damages after accidents involving hit and run drivers – recovering untold sums of cash for our clients along the way. We are ready, willing, and able to go to battle for you. To get started, all you need to do is give us a call or contact us online.