Oklahoma City Car Accident Statistics

Are you wondering how safe or dangerous it is to take a drive across the Sooner State? Thousands of car accidents happen in Oklahoma City every year, and there are certain neighborhoods that are more prone to accidents than others. If you’re injured in an accident, you should seek the help of an experienced car accident lawyer.

The team here at the McGuire Law Firm analyzed recent Oklahoma City car accident statistics to find the answers to your questions:

How Many Car Accidents Happen in Oklahoma Each Year?

Female Driver Making Phone Call After Traffic Accident

According to data from the Oklahoma Highway Safety Office, there were 71,280 crashes in the Sooner State in 2018. Of those accidents, 21,286 happened in Oklahoma City.

For comparison, the state of Oklahoma saw 71,415 collisions in 2017.

How Many Injury-Causing Car Crashes Occur in Oklahoma Each Year?

In 2018, there were a total of 22,246 injury-causing crashes in the state of Oklahoma. Those collisions injured 32,536 people.

Both of these figures are lower than they were in 2017. In that year, there were 22,496 injury-causing accidents in Oklahoma, forcing a total of 33,128 people to seek medical attention.

How Many Fatal Car Accidents Happen in Oklahoma Each Year?

In 2018, there were a total of 603 fatal accidents in the state of Oklahoma. Those crashes caused 655 people to lose their lives.

These numbers are slight improvements over 2017 – when Oklahoma reported 613 fatal crashes that killed 657 people.

How Many Motorcyclists Are Killed or Injured in Oklahoma Each Year?

According to the Oklahoma Highway Safety Office, 970 motorcycle riders sustained injuries on streets and highways in the Sooner State in 2018. That is an 11.98 percent improvement over 2017 – when that figure sat at 1,102.

In 2018, 89 motorcyclists died in traffic collisions in the state of Oklahoma. That figure is unchanged from 2017.

How Many Cyclists Are Killed or Injured in Oklahoma Each Year?

In 2018, 241 bicycle riders suffered injuries in traffic accidents in the state of Oklahoma. That represents a 12.68 percent improvement over 2017 – when the Sooner State reported 276 cyclist injuries.

2018 saw 16 cyclists lose their lives on the streets of Oklahoma. That is an alarming 128.57 percent increase from 2017 – when the state lost just 7 bicycle riders.

How Many Pedestrians Are Killed or Injured in Oklahoma Each Year?

A total of 536 pedestrians suffered injuries in the state of Oklahoma in 2018. That figure is 11.11 percent lower than it was in 2017 – when 603 walkers sustained injuries in traffic accidents.

Oklahoma has also improved its pedestrian fatality rate. In 2018, the state lost just 64 walkers, which compares quite favorably to the 83 pedestrians that died there in 2017.

When Do Car Crashes Happen in the State of Oklahoma?

Traffic accidents occur just about every day in Oklahoma. However, these collisions are not evenly distributed throughout the year. Some months, days, and times are more crash-prone than others.

Per the Oklahoma Highway Safety Office, the monthly distribution of car accidents in the Sooner State in 2018 was as follows:

  • January: 5,344 collisions
  • February: 5,467 collisions
  • March: 5,651 collisions
  • April: 5,741 collisions
  • May: 6,255 collisions
  • June: 5,779 collisions
  • July: 5,495 collisions
  • August: 6,327 collisions
  • September: 6,364 collisions
  • October: 6,926 collisions
  • November: 6,087 collisions
  • December: 5,844 collisions

The daily distribution of crashes in Oklahoma in 2018 was as follows:

  • Sundays: 6,203 collisions
  • Mondays: 10,373 collisions
  • Tuesdays: 10,924 collisions
  • Wednesdays: 11,223 collisions
  • Thursdays: 11,356 collisions
  • Fridays: 12,542 collisions
  • Saturdays: 8,659 collisions

The data released by the Oklahoma Highway Safety Office also shows that the most dangerous time to be on the road in the Sooner State is between 3 pm and 6 pm. A staggering 26 percent of all car accidents happen during this three-hour window.

Where Do Car Accidents Happen in the State of Oklahoma?

In 2018, 76.2 percent of all Oklahoma traffic accidents happened in urban areas. The remaining 23.8 percent happened in rural locations.

Despite the fact that about three-fourths of car crashes happen in urban places, the majority of road fatalities happen on rural roads. During 2018, 63.2 percent of all traffic deaths happened in rural areas – while the remaining 36.8 percent happened in towns and cities.

Is Drunk Driving a Significant Problem in Oklahoma?

Oklahoma, like just about every other state in the Union, has a huge problem with drunk driving. However, as local governments work to raise awareness of the issue, and law enforcement officers continue making DUI arrests, the state’s statistics are trending in the correct direction.

In 2018, the consumption of alcohol played a role in 3,109 accidents. In 2017, this figure sat at 3,268.

Drunk driving led to 1,265 injury-causing crashes in Oklahoma in 2018. Those collisions forced 1,887 people to seek medical attention. In 2017, alcohol consumption was responsible for 1,349 injury-causing crashes – sending a total of 2,134 to hospitals and clinics.

Throughout 2018, the consumption of alcohol led to 147 fatal crashes and caused the deaths of 158 people. In 2017, drunk driving caused 160 fatal crashes, killing 171 people.

Is Speeding a Significant Problem in Oklahoma?

Like drunk driving, speeding is also a significant issue in Oklahoma. Unfortunately, when it comes to this particular problem, many of the state’s figures are heading in the wrong direction.

In 2018, a total of 8,581 accidents in Oklahoma were caused by one or more parties driving at an unsafe speed. That represents a 3.87 percent increase from 2017 – when the Sooner State reported 8,261 speeding-related crashes.

Speeding led to 3,305 injury-causing collisions in Oklahoma in 2018 – forcing 4,688 people to seek medical attention. Throughout 2017, speeding was responsible for 3,281 injury-causing crashes. Those accidents resulted in a total of 4,769 injuries.

During 2018, speeding caused 123 fatal collisions in Oklahoma -resulting in the deaths of 133 people. In 2017, the Sooner State reported 116 fatal crashes and 127 deaths.

Do Oklahomans Remember to Wear Their Seatbelts?

According to the Oklahoma Highway Safety Office, 85.6 percent of motorists who got into accidents in the Sooner State in 2018 were wearing a seatbelt. In 2017, this figure was a little higher – 86.9 percent.

Approximately 91.1 percent of kids who got into traffic accidents in Oklahoma in 2018 were wearing appropriate restraints. Again, this figure is lower than 2017’s 91.8 percent.

How Does Oklahoma’s Traffic Safety Record Compare to the Rest of the United States?

To understand how Oklahoma’s road safety record stacks up against the rest of the nation, one must look at the data compiled by the US Department of Transportation’s Fatality Analysis Reporting System (FARS).

According to FARS statistics, the state of Oklahoma has the 8th highest rate of traffic fatalities per capita in the United States. The only states with worse records are:

  • Alabama
  • Arkansas
  • Mississippi
  • Montana
  • New Mexico
  • South Carolina, and
  • Wyoming.

The state of Oklahoma also has the 8th highest rate of traffic fatalities per mile traveled in the United States. In this category, the Sooner State is behind only:

  • Alaska
  • Arizona
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Mississippi
  • South Carolina, and
  • West Virginia.

These statistics clearly indicate that Oklahoma is quite a bit below the national average when it comes to traffic safety.

What to Do If You Get into a Car Accident in Oklahoma City

Given the Sooner State’s less-than-stellar road safety record, it may just be a matter of time before you get into an accident while driving through Oklahoma City. If and when such a crash does occur, you will need to take the following steps to protect your health and your financial future:

Call an Ambulance (If Necessary)

If you are severely injured after your accident, you should call 911 and request an ambulance immediately. Should you be unable to make the call yourself, you should have a bystander do it on your behalf.

Call Your Insurance Company

Once you have received the medical attention you require, you must report your collision to your insurance company. You need only give them basic information about the crash, like where it happened and what time it happened.

Call the Police

When you have finished talking with your insurer, you must then call the police. Once they arrive on the scene, they will compile a report that assigns blame to one of the involved parties. You may need to use this report as evidence in a personal injury lawsuit.

Gather Evidence

While you are still at the accident scene, you should also take some time to snap plenty of pictures and record some videos. You might also wish to ask any witnesses for their contact information. These pictures, videos, and witnesses can all be used as evidence in your lawsuit.

Contact an Attorney

Once you have finished compiling evidence, your next call should be to an experienced Oklahoma City car accident lawyer. We can tell you what steps you need to take next, communicate with your insurer, and help you begin the process of fighting for compensation.

Have Questions About Oklahoma City’s Car Accident Statistics? Contact Our Law Firm Today

At the McGuire Law Firm, our Oklahoma City personal injury lawyers have been helping the people of Oklahoma with their legal questions, concerns, and issues for many years. So, whether you want to know more about our city’s car accident statistics or need someone to help you file a personal injury lawsuit, you can count on us. Give us a call today to set up a free consultation with one of our experienced attorneys.