Personal Injury FAQ
Personal injury cases can be complicated. If you’ve been injured, the OKC personal injury lawyers at McGuire Law Firm know that you probably have a lot of questions.
Here, we’ve addressed a few of the questions our clients tend to ask us most often. If you should have any more questions when you finish reading through this page, please do not hesitate to call us to discuss the details of your case.
What is a Personal Injury Case?
A personal injury case is a legal dispute that arises when a person suffers bodily or emotional harm due to another party’s negligent behavior.
These claims typically begin when the victim files a formal complaint against the at-fault party in court.
In Oklahoma, the vast majority of personal injury cases conclude in one of the following ways:
- Settlement: Plaintiffs and defendants regularly agree to settle their disputes without going to court.
- Judgment: If the parties cannot agree to a settlement, a civil court judge will review the case and make a ruling.
- Dismissal: When a personal injury case has no merit, the judge may opt to dismiss it without awarding any compensation.
To learn more about the possible resolutions to personal injury lawsuits in the state of Oklahoma, please contact the skilled lawyers at McGuire Law Firm. We have been handling cases like these for years, and we would be happy to provide you with the information you require.
How Do I Know If I Have a Valid Personal Injury Claim?
Not everybody who suffers injuries in accidents in Oklahoma is eligible to recover compensation. However, if you sustained your injuries because of the negligent actions of another party, you most likely have a valid claim.
As a general rule, if you wish to recover damages after an accident in the state of Oklahoma, you must be able to prove that:
- The other party owed you a duty of care
- The other party breached that duty by acting negligently
- The other party’s breach of duty caused you to suffer injuries, and
- Your injuries are as severe or life-altering as you claim
In most personal injury suits, the best way for you to prove these points is to present the court with plenty of relevant evidentiary materials, like:
- Witness statements
- Accident scene photos
- Video footage
- Police reports, and
- Medical records
Would you like to have a lawyer from McGuire Law Firm take a look at your situation to determine whether you have a valid personal injury case? If so, please give us a call today to set up a meeting with a member of our team.
What is the Deadline for Filing My Oklahoma Personal Injury Lawsuit?
The statute of limitations for most personal injury claims in the state of Oklahoma is two years. As such, the deadline to file your lawsuit is almost certainly the second anniversary of your accident.
If your car accident or dog bite occurred when you were a child, however, your deadline might be a little different. Since minors cannot file suit in the state of Oklahoma, their two-year timer does not begin on the date of their accident. It starts on their 18th birthday – pushing the filing deadline to their 20th birthday.
There are several other factors that may impact the statutory window for your lawsuit. So, if you would like to have a skilled personal injury lawyer from McGuire Law Firm analyze your case and confirm your deadline, please give us a call at your earliest convenience.
How Much is My Personal Injury Case Worth?
The value of your personal injury case depends on numerous factors, like:
- The expenses associated with your initial medical treatment
- The cost of your ongoing healthcare needs
- The fees attached to your rehabilitation
- The cost to repair or replace your damaged personal property
- The amount of time you missed from work because of your injury
- The effect your injury will have on your earning capacity
- The mental pain you endured because of your injury
- The impact your injury will have on your quality of life
If your injuries are relatively minor, and you can continue to work, you will likely receive a modest compensatory award. However, if you suffered an injury that left you with a permanent disability, your payout will be quite a bit more substantial.
When you work with our personal injury attorneys, we will help you pursue compensation for damages like:
- Medical expenses
- Ongoing care costs
- Rehabilitation fees
- Property damage
- Lost wages
- Loss of future earnings
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Loss of enjoyment of life
When at-fault parties act maliciously toward you, our legal team may also help you fight for punitive (or exemplary) damages. These payouts can be as high as $100,000 in the state of Oklahoma.
The best way to find out the exact value of your personal injury case is to speak with an experienced attorney from McGuire Law Firm. Our team would be happy to analyze your situation and give you an estimate. Reach out to us today to set up a free consultation at our Oklahoma City offices.
Can I Recover Damages If I Am Partially At-Fault for My Accident?
Most Oklahoma residents understand that they can claim compensation if they suffer injuries because of another party’s negligence. However, some people believe that victims lose this right when they are partially to blame for their own accident.
In most cases, those people are incorrect.
Should you find yourself in this tricky situation, however, you will not have the ability to recover your full compensatory award. Under Oklahoma law, the judge must diminish your payout in line with the amount of blame you hold.
So, if you receive a $200,000 award in court after you get injured in a car accident for which you hold 20 percent of the blame, you will not receive your full payout. Instead, you will get $160,000.
The concept of comparative negligence can be a bit tricky to understand. So, if you have any questions about it, please do not hesitate to give us a call. We have the experience required to provide you with straightforward answers.
What is a Contingency Fee?
McGuire Law Firm operates on a contingent fee basis. Our use of this billing system means that we never charge our clients any money upfront.
Should you decide to work with us, we will only charge you a fee if we win your case. This fee will be a pre-agreed upon percentage of your verdict or settlement.
What Types of Personal Injury Cases Does McGuire Law Firm Handle?
The attorneys at McGuire Law Firm have many years of experience in the legal field. As such, our team has the statutory knowledge necessary to handle a wide range of personal injury cases, including:
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Medical malpractice
- Workers’ compensation
- Slip and fall accidents
- Wrongful death
Do you believe that you are entitled to compensation after a dog attack or an auto accident? If so, please get in touch with McGuire Law Firm as soon as possible. We would be happy to use our knowledge of the law to assist you with your lawsuit.
How Will McGuire Law Firm Assist Me with My Personal Injury Case?
No matter what type of accident caused you to sustain an injury, hiring an experienced lawyer from McGuire Law Firm can safeguard your health and your financial future. Here are some of the ways we can help you with your case:
- Help you understand how the Oklahoma legal system functions
- Look for evidence that may convince a judge to rule in your favor
- Offer you astute legal advice throughout your lawsuit
- Provide you with answers to all of your legal questions
- Consult with trusted experts about the nuances of your case
- Conduct a thorough investigation into the cause of your accident
- Put together an effective legal strategy for your personal injury case
- Identify the party that is liable for your damages
- Walk you through your potential legal options
- Analyze the details of your accident and assess your damages
- Handle your lawsuit’s paperwork load
- Speak with the defendant’s insurance company on your behalf
- Negotiate a settlement with the other party’s insurer
- Present evidence and argue on your behalf in court
Our Oklahoma law firm can assist you with your personal injury case. To find out how, please give us a call to set up a free initial consultation with a member of our team. Our team of attorneys has years of experience in the industry and is ready to fight for you.
Schedule a Free Consultation With our Oklahoma City Personal Injury Lawyers to Learn More
Do you need additional information after reading this Personal Injury FAQ page? If so, please do not hesitate to contact the experienced lawyers at McGuire Law Firm in Oklahoma City, OK. We will be happy to give you the details you require.