Causes & Determining Fault for Car Accidents
Car accidents in Oklahoma cause thousands of injuries and deaths each year. Many of the car wrecks that occur could be prevented. Human error is a common contributing factor in most car accidents.
Our personal injury attorneys have over 60 years of experience handling injury claims.
Table of Contents
How Our Oklahoma Car Accident Lawyers Can Help if You’ve Been Injured in a Car Accident
It is crucial that you determine fault for a car accident. You must prove that the other driver caused the crash to recover compensation for damages. Our Oklahoma personal injury attorneys have over 60 years of experience investigating car accident cases.
We are thorough and diligent to ensure that we gather every piece of evidence available that can help prove fault for the accident. At McGuire Law Firm, we fight to recover maximum compensation for your injuries. Our attorneys have won multi-million dollar awards in many cases.
When you hire our legal team, you can expect us to:
- Dedicate the resources necessary to investigate your claim
- Analyze your case and provide an honest assessment of your case
- Filing insurance claims and monitor deadlines for lawsuits
- Carefully document your damages to maximize the value of your injury claim
- Negotiate a fair settlement for your case
- File a personal injury lawsuit, when necessary to protect your best interests
Get help from experienced car accident lawyers. Reach out to us now to schedule your free consultation with an Oklahoma car accident attorney.
How Common Are Car Accidents in Oklahoma?
Car accidents are common in Oklahoma. In 2019, there were 201 crashes per day statewide. The total police-reported car accidents in 2019 totaled 73,267.
Other Oklahoma crash statistics for 2019 include:
- 3,171 alcohol-related crashes
- 5,638 accidents involving large trucks
- 8,901 accidents involved unsafe speed
- Over 1,000 motorcyclists were involved in traffic accidents
- 326 cyclists were involved in traffic crashes
- 569 pedestrians were injured, and 88 pedestrians died in motor vehicle accidents
Thousands of people were injured in car crashes during 2019, and 640 people died.
What Common Car Accident Scenarios Cause Car Accidents?
Car accident scenarios involving dangerous driving behavior cause the most car accidents. A motorist fails to obey traffic laws or engages in driving behaviors that can increase the risk of a collision.
Common types of driving behaviors that can lead to scenarios that result in car crashes include:
- Distracted driving
- Drunk drivers
- Fatigued driving
- Reckless or aggressive driving
- Road rage
The types of accidents that these behaviors can cause range from rear-end accidents and head-on collisions to side-impact and T-bone collisions. Accidents in parking lots might be caused by a driver failing to slow down or keep a proper lookout.
Drivers could avoid a collision by focusing on the road ahead and avoiding dangerous driving behaviors.
How is Fault Determined in a Car Accident Case?
The fault for the accident is determined through an investigation of how the accident occurred.
For example, gathering evidence proving that a driver did not stop in time to avoid a crash because he was tailgating. Another example of fault could be a driver failing to yield the right of way or making illegal left turns.
When a vehicle collides with another vehicle, there is usually a reason. For instance, most rear-end collisions are caused because drivers are following too closely or not paying attention to traffic. However, you must have evidence proving that the driver was at fault for the crash.
Evidence in a car accident case could include:
- Statements made by the drivers involved in the crash
- Statements provided by eyewitnesses
- Videos of the collision gathered from nearby surveillance cameras or traffic cameras
- Physical evidence from the accident scene
- Examination and analysis of the damage to each vehicle
- Expert testimony from accident reconstructionists, engineers, and other experts
An experienced personal injury attorney understands how to conduct a comprehensive investigation to gather evidence of fault.
Common Types of Injuries Caused by Car Crashes
Injuries in car accidents can be minor and heal within a few weeks. However, some car accident injuries could lead to permanent impairments.
Common car accident injuries include:
- Whiplash and neck injuries
- Back and spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Broken bones and fractures
- Damage to internal organs
- Amputations and loss of limbs
When injuries from car crashes result in death, family members may have a claim for wrongful death. Individuals who survive car crashes can file claims for injuries and other damages.
Who is Liable for a Car Accident in Oklahoma?
The at-fault party is liable for damages caused by a car accident. Insurance companies may deny liability for a car accident for numerous reasons. For that reason, you must have sufficient evidence to prove fault for the car crash.
Once you prove that the other driver is responsible for the crash, you can seek compensation for your:
- Medical bills and expenses
- Physical pain and suffering
- Mental and emotional trauma
- Loss of income and benefits
- Decreases in earning potential
- Permanent impairments and disabilities
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Decreases in quality of life
The value of your car accident claim depends on several factors. Our car accident lawyers diligently document your damages to maximize the value of your claim.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Oklahoma Car Accident Lawyers
Our legal team is ready to help you hold a negligent driver accountable for your damages. Call our office to schedule a free consultation with an Oklahoma car accident attorney to discuss your case.